Encourage Governor Cuomo to strengthen and renew the rent laws before they expire on June 15th!
- PRINT OUT SOME PETITIONS TO THE GOVERNOR.. (Scroll down for the text.) Get them signed, and give them to Steve Koulish in Apt. 12C
- SIGN THE PETITION ON LINE by clicking on http://www.change.org/petitions/support-stronger-rent-laws .
- GO TO ALBANY ON MAY 3rd! Scroll down for details .
- RALLY at RENT GUIDELINES BOARD on MAY 3rd from 4:30 PM on
- PARTY: "Cinco" de Mayo FUNDRAISER on MAY 6 from 6-8 PM
(1) Petition Governor Cuomo
Dear Governor Cuomo:
We, the People of New York, call on you to keep your promise to renting families by ensuring that more than two million New Yorkers do not lose their homes on June 15, 2011. The City of New York and the suburban counties are in a housing emergency. Without the protections of rent stabilization, the working and middle class -- the lifeblood of New York -- will be displaced. Governor Cuomo, we urge you to use your strong leadership to save our homes from special interests and to preserve affordable housing by:
1. Renewing and strengthening the rent laws which expire on June 15, 2011.
2. Repealing vacancy destabilization, the law has allowed 300,000 units to become destabilized since 1997, and
3. Re-regulating all apartments that have been deregulated under a flawed system that encourages fraud and tenant harassment, and
4. Extending rent regulation protections to tenants in former Mitchell-Lama and project-based Section 8 buildings.
New York needs real rent reform. The future of the rent regulation system is at stake.
Governor Cuomo, it’s up to you.
The state legislature is on vacation for the rest of this month (passing a budget on the backs of working people is hard work…) and will be back in session on Tuesday, May 3rd.
- Let's be there to welcome them back up to Albany and make sure that rent regulation is the top priority.
- Tenants say no business gets done in Albany until the rent laws are renewed and strengthened!
Buses will be leaving from throughout the city that morning, and returning in the evening. There is no cost for transportation. [We're trying to get one in the neighborhood.]
The Real Rent Reform Campaign is also sending groups up every week following this big mobilization. Please also contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in going up on
- Tuesday, May 10, 2011
- Tuesday, May 17, 2011
- Tuesday, May 24, or
- Wednesday, June 1.
We’re getting down to the wire, folks – this is it! Please RSVP to email@example.com for a spot on the bus.
(3) Rally at the Rent Guidelines Board Preliminary Vote on Tuesday, May 3, 2011
4:30 PM on . . . !
Join other groups of stabilized tenants outside the Rent Guidelines Board
Cooper Union's Great Hall, 7 East 7th St. (at 3rd Ave.)
and testify to keep our rents low.
(4) Rally in front of Gov. Cuomo's NYC office
Monday, May 16, 2011
The R3 Campaign will be rallying in front of Gov. Cuomo's NYC office at 633 Third Ave. (between 40th and 41st Streets) in Manhattan. He will only hear tenants voices if there are a LOT of us!