- Our annual Halloween fundraiser will be on Saturday, October 28 in the lobby. Volunteers are needed for the 5-6 pm slot, and your gifts of individually wrapped candy is welcome. Leave it with the doorman for Rosa Delgado in 2T.
- The US Supreme Court will likely decide in the next couple of weeks whether to take the case of landlords claiming that rent regulation "takes" their property without compensation. In the past, all 9 justices (including Clarence Thomas and the late Antonin Scalia - the Court's most conservative justices), ruled that states can regulate property use including by rent regulation.
- NYC is funding some more "Shape Up NYC!" classes, like those that Jodi Brockington taught before the pandemic. We may get 2 classes: one strenuous one evening, and another less strenuous, possible during the day. (She will not be teaching them.)
- The Park West History Group is planning an evening on how tenants have shaped our buildings and neighborhood. If you have old documents from this building - particularly about our getting a tax break early on - please let Sue know: sue.susman [at ] gmail.com.
- HEAT season begins Oct. 1 and runs through May 31.
- S2980/A6216 (AM Linda Rosenthal/Sen. Brian Kavanagh) would keep rents low where landlords combine a rent stabilized unit with any other space. That would deter them from holding rent stabilized apartments empty just in order to Frankenstein them and charge high prices. That bill would also make it easier for family members to "succeed" (take over the lease in their own name), and would clarify the definition of landlord fraud.
- A4047 (AM Dinowitz/Sen. Kavanagh), clarifies how to calculate rents after the landlord has overcharged a tenant.
- A6843 (AM Clark/Sen. Hinchley) would require landlords to answer housing vacancy surveys - a first step before a municipality decides whether to opt into rent stabilization.
- A3484 (AM Gallagher/Sen. Hoylman-Sigal) says that landlords (including oligarchs, money launderers, tax cheats, wage thieves, and slumlords) can't hide behind a Limited Liability Corporation ("SLLC"). That way, tenants will know who actually owns their building, and who is responsible for repairs. Join the rally in support of these bills on WEDNESDAY, 9/27 downtown at 10 AM at 111 West 57th Street between 6 and 7th Avenues (in front of one of the supertall buildings owned by LLCs).
Call Gov. Hochul's office. Click here to do it through your computer, or just dial 518-474-8390. You can email her too. Tell her,We need those bills passed. Landlords are busy lobbying against them because they will help tenants.
Tenants need you to sign S2980, A4047, A6843 and A 3484 to keep more rent stabilized apartments available
- at honest rents
- by landlords known to their tenants, and
- enable more municipalities to decide whether they want the same.
Please sign them as soon as they cross your desk! Thank you.
And come to a rally in front of Gov. Hochul's office on
Thursday, Oct. 12 at Noon - 633 Third Ave. (40/41st Streets) -
Go with Sue to urge the governor to sign these bills!
Because we want to end Frankensteining and it's near Halloween, feel free to wear a Frankenstein costume - and we'll hand out candy!
It would help if you would make sure to CLOSE the compost collection bins in the ground floor rooms.